Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mirror to Bulletin Board


On one of my few recent trips to the thrift store I found this mirror made to look like a window, with a shelf and pegs underneath.  I loved it and thought it had great potential (although not in it's current red state, at least not for me).

IMG_3679
My son holds it up while my daughter does what she does when I tell her to "Smile!"
I took the screws out of the back (thank goodness for power tools!) and took the mirror out.  I had to paint about 4 layers of white to get the red to stop showing through.  Although I could have either stripped off the red, or primed it first to help.  

IMG_3681
Ah, that's better!
Thankfully the pegs came out very easily, and I filled the holes with caulk (although I think I should have used wood filler).  Then I mixed some brown and white paint to make a lighter brown and very lightly brushed it on with a dry, stiff-bristled brush. 

IMG_3682
Kind of gives the effect of chipping paint without the mess or potential lead!
Then I added the new hooks I bought (being careful to avoid the peg holes).  For the cork part I SHOULD have just purchased a roll of cork sheeting, cut it to the size of the mirror and secured it to the backing board, but unfortunately I didn't have that thought until after I had already started meticulously measuring and cutting cork tiles to fit each rectangle in the "window". 

IMG_3688


IMG_3685
The finished product! (I had to make every caption have an exclamation point)
I'm linking to this party.

6 comments:

  1. oooh i likes it very much great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Wow, another Rhiannon (You're the third I know of)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great transformation! Love the white and the cork! I'll be featuring this tomorrow - Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks for linking to The Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! Kudos for such creativity :-) I've seen cute mirrors like that and thought I liked it, but didn't have the insight you do to create this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I'm definitely learning to look at lines and form rather than color when I take trips to the thrift stores and yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, great job! I have a mirror like this but without the hooks and this has inspired me to add hooks, thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...