Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Springtime a Little Early -- Tissue Paper Cherry Blossoms

I actually did this project about a week before Valentine's Day so it would be part of the decor for the day, as well as carry over to the spring time decor.

I have been longing for spring more this year than any previous year. Even though the winter has been fairly mild in my area I (and my kids!) have hated being cooped up inside with the weather too cold to play outside. So any hint of spring (even if artificial like this) I've fallen in love with.

I found the idea (via Craft Gossip) for tissue paper cherry blossoms glued to sticks and placed in a vase. I made up the arrangement of sticks in the vase and made the tiny snowflake garland for it in January.  So when the time came I removed the garland and prepared the tissue paper flowers.  The original idea had dark pink in the center with lighter pink on the outside.  I really loved the way that looked, but I didn't have any dark pink and was determined to use what I had on hand, so I just skipped that part.

I started by making templates for two different sizes of blossoms (2" and 1.25").  I just drew squares that size then freehanded the flower shape inside.  Not perfect, but works just fine! 

IMG_4906

I traced the shapes lots of times on some tissue paper and cut them out.

IMG_4907


Then next three easy steps were repeated with every single blossom.

IMG_4908
Smoosh


IMG_4909
Twist


IMG_4910
Fluff


After gluing the blossoms on the sticks I felt like it needed a little bit of green. So I just free hand cut out some leaves and glued them on near the larger blossoms.

IMG_4912


And here's the end result!

IMG_4915


IMG_4914


IMG_4917


What projects are you doing to welcome spring?

24 comments:

  1. Love it!! The bits of green are perfect. I think I have to copy you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Yesterday and today David and I planted the front garden with some shrubs and some impatiens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I don't have the patience to make something like that though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty!! Makes me wish I didn't toss out my yard clippings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Your cherry blossoms look so real! I had considered bringing in some branches and forcing them to bloom, but this looks more my speed. No green thumb required. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so sweet and springy! I love them! Hope you will share again with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/02/pink-hippo-party-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah.. and I am your newest follower.. glad I found you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this project on my mind for a few days. Thanks for sharing--it looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done! Very inspiring.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here from etsy! These are beautiful! I really enjoy them. I'm going to follow your blog, won't you follow mine too?
    littlebirdbigcity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This just screams spring!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that is so lovely! I have seen these other places, but yours looks even more realistic. I stopped by from the Sew Woodsy link party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy! I absolutely LOVE your cherry blossoms creation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So-o-o pretty. Love it.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet idea. I did something a little similar making apple blossom sprays

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so in love with this! It's on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful! They look so easy, but very realistic and cute! I featured you today on my blog :) http://youseriouslymadethat.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunday-features-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pure genius! I so wish I had the patience to tackle a project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable! love it! I'm making birds for a twig tree! I have thought about doing some kind of flowers to my twigs. These are great!

    I'm visiting from Craft 0 Maniac!
    Have a beautiful day!
    Love, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love love love this! Just added this to my todo list! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...