Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jewelry Display Frames - Pottery Barn Knockoff


For a while I have been looking for a new way to store my jewelry.  I've been using a little wire dress form and while I like it, it's not quite big enough.  I saw these display frames one day when browsing around on Pottery Barns website:


They're sold out on their website so I don't know what the price comparison would be.  I had purchased a few frames in the past to use for something (I didn't know what at the time!) and otherwise used things I had on hand. 

Here's the before:

IMG_5706


IMG_5720

Cute floral pictures, but not my style. I also used the frame which I made into a seashell display. I decided that seashells are better in smaller displays, at least for my purposes.


 I started by removing the glass, pictures and backing out of each frame.  I also had to remove lots of staples from the larger frame, which I did with some pliers and lots of clenching of my teeth. 

IMG_5717


The larger frame was made to hang in the "profile" direction so I moved the hanger so it would hang "landscape" style. I removed the hanger with pliers and, after measuring to find the middle, hammered it in to the new position. If you do this be sure to put some towels under the frame so you don't mash the molding.

IMG_5719


I brushed on three coats of craft paint (using almost a full bottle for all three frames) then one coat of polyacrylic finish. It really made the color brighter to do this step instead of leaving it matte.

IMG_5721


The larger frame is the necklace holder so I measured to evenly space five hooks. I just used cup hooks I had from another project.

IMG_5726


When drilling the holes I put a little piece of tape around the drill bit so I would not drill too deep.

IMG_5727


For the other two frames I stapled some spring twine (for upholstery) to the back. I used a couple of staples to be sure it was sturdy.

IMG_5735


Here is the final result (I like how it's pretty much a functional version of the empty frame gallery):

Jewelry Display Frames


Necklace Display


Earring Display


IMG_5752

 Including the frames, which I picked up at yard sales, and a little bottle of craft paint, my total cost was about $4.  I'm sure that beats Pottern Barn by more than a little bit. :)
-----------------------------------------------
I'll be linking up to the parties on my "Link Parties" tab. 

34 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love this idea. I have been wanting to do something like this too. Thanks for sharing!!
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogpspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is PERFECT for what I'm doing in my master bathroom hallway!! Thanks SO much for posting this, I'm going to start work on it tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT !!! I have an old gold frame i found in the trash i think will work wonderfuly !!thank for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look terrific! Love the red! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I love the color and the round one! I've been wanting to display my jewelry for a while and am finally getting around to making something.

    Just stopping by from Sugar Bee Crafts and am now a new follower. Would love if you'd stop by and follow me too! www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Definitely a Potter Barn competitor and a much better price :) Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOAAA!!! I am amazed at what you've done! I'm SOOOO going to try this for myself - seriously awesome! Thanks a ton for sharing it!!! (visiting from someday crafts)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun! Love the red!

    Emily
    Deviantly Domesticated Team
    http://stephaniehillberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for posting this! I am sooo going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great job!!! I'm digging these... and have already thought of a place where I can hang them in my room! :) Hope Mr. Woodsy doesn't mind! Stopping by from Sew Woodsy! :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I'm bookmarking for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this - i need to do one for all of my bracelets and necklaces. Looks like a fun crap to add to my summer file.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this! i plan on copying this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WoW!!!! What a great Idea! I'm going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing ~ please come by and say hi sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely done...I have so many empty frames lying around and now have a cheap way of using them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the best thing ever! Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Pottery Barn can take a hike. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a great job! Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  19. these started out so ugly and now are so stunning! Fab job!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. CAtherine, your jewelry display rocks! Linking up this awesome post with us made the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop better and more special. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found a shadow box at tj maxx I was thinking about doing this too, your idea is much better!! I will have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just letting you know that I featured it today at Recognition Day Thursday :) Please feel free to grab the feature button in my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is beautiful! I saw you at Homemaker on a Dime, and had to rush over and see this. I'm a new follower on Google and FB. This is in my favorites now, too. I've tried to do jewelry hangers with canvas, but this looks much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. just lovely! And oh, you made it to this week's votation round for May's finest. votation starts today and will run for a week! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is what I need for my jewelries. thanks for sharing the ideas. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh, love it! I was just this morning thinking that I need a way of organising my jewellery so I can actually see it all!

    ReplyDelete
  27. damnit. Now I have five thousand and one things on my to do list. Already planned on making the necklace display, but now I have to make an earring one too.

    :) Thanks for sharing, doll! Love the red!

    http://lifecraftsandwhatever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a great idea! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. THanks!

    http://reuseandupcycle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the flower motif, and the frames are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You probably could use a clear transite or fishing line instead of the jute cording too! Love it! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. With one's hard work and creativity, the appeal of a room will indeed change for the best. One sample if this post, a painting with the right frame will truly accentuate the area and home builders Missouri as well as owners will be delighted with the results. This will definitely inspire those who are looking for ideas on how to improve their living spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really love the Sculpture of your website. I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something I found another one Sneha artslike you, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post blog and check this Sneha arts , is also look like your website on arts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...