Thursday, September 29, 2011

Trash to Tool Caddy - Using a Six Pack Carrier

 Recently my family and I picked up some Japanese take-out. They sent home our miso soup in a six pack carrier (way to reduce/reuse guys!).

IMG_7206.jpg


After dinner I got to thinking that I could just cover it with some pretty paper and make something useful out of it. So I did just that.

I started by taping the carrier so it wouldn't fold up, then cut out a piece of paper big enough to wrap around the carrier, leaving a little extra at the top and bottom edge. Then I broke out my trusty Paper Mod Podge and, using a foam brush, glued the paper to the carrier.

IMG_7207.jpg


Then I folded the edges over at the top and bottom. I cut out two pieces of paper for the handle area, gluing one at a time and folding them through the middle to the other side.

IMG_7210.jpg


I also covered all the raw edges on the top and sides of the handle with paper. I held up a piece of cardstock to where I wanted it to cover the handle and traced the shape. Then I cut out the handle and traced a second piece (one for each side).

IMG_7212.jpg


I measured the height, width and depth of the inside sections, cut out pieces of cardstock, and scored them (by running the cutting blade very lightly over the cardstock) to make them easier to fold accurately.

IMG_7214.jpg


I glued on the cardstock pieces for the handle then inserted the rectangular pieces into the carrier (in a triangular shape to make them easier to get in), opened them out and glued the sides together.

IMG_7217.jpg


IMG_7224.jpg


I ended up with this:

IMG_7228.jpg


From trash to treasure! I seriously love it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be linking up to these fabulous link parties:

 Monday -  Craft o Maniac Monday -- Craftastic Monday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party  --  Tuesday -  Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Upcycled Awesome -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Tuesday Talent Show --  Wednesday -  Seven Thrity Three -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Create and Share -- Whatever Goes Wednesday --  Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- Thursday -  Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- House of Hepworths -- Friday -  Remodelaholic Friday -- Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Show and Share Day -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- Pity Party -- Design Dazzle --  Saturday - Saturday Spotlight --  Sunday -  The DIY Showoff Project  Parade --  Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

Tickled Pink at 504 Main

30 comments:

  1. Love this! I can see these being used in a million different ways. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fabulous project Catherine. You should consider compiling some of these into categories for a book.
    Here's a publisher that might be interested.
    http://www.interweave.com/books/Book-Proposal-Guidelines.pdf
    They publish all sorts of books and magazines for sewing and other crafts.
    At the very least you might start submitting some of your projects to their magazines
    http://www.interweave.com/Magazines/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute...gonna have to buy a six pack just for this...I'm gonna make it into a caddy for the kids to keep their pencils, pens, colors, scissors...etc...as a homework organizer. Thanks.

    Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/09/you-rock-3.html . Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @
    RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks great! I wouldn't have thought it would be that sturdy or look that great! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so clever! I would have never thought to do that. This would be cute for a classroom too. Found you on Tatertots and Jello. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. HMMMM, I seriously love this. Who would have thought! LOL, adding it to my list of need-to-do's!
    Love the patterned paper you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to recycle! Too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could use these for so many different things! Love your recycled caddy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG ~ so cute!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that looks awesome, you do good work. I would love for you to share your caddy at Bacon Time. The linky is still up and runs weekly fri-mon.
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/
    Come strut your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to double re-use! Awesome project. I hope you'll stop by Etcetorize and share it at this week's linky party: etcetorize.blogspot.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so smart. What a great way to reuse something and make it pretty. I can think of a million different places I could use that. Thanks for sharing!

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. How crafty are you?! I would say you reused this so much better than the chinese restaurant. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great – I really love it!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. so very clever and cute! very practical!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE IT! My daughter is getting a new desk for Christmas and this will be a perfect addition to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! I would love to feature it on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! What a great idea. I'm going to do this with my 9-year old daughter. She needs organizers for all her arts and crafts things and this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks amazing! found you via pinterest and the colours of this just look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea! I'm getting my sister to save me some 6-packs just to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You might want to make tracing the handle easier by doin that before taping it to stay rigid.You could lay it on top of the card stock to trace ( rather than holding it in one hand and the six-pack in the other, while trying to trace the scoochinf handle with a third (?!) hand... Otherwise, an awesome project! You might also decorate the outside with decoupaged patches of leftover paper bits (crazy quilt style), with "embroidery stitching" with a marker...or not!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have saved my Starbuck's 4-pack carriers from the grocery.....now I know how to make them attractive for my craft room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thats so funny :) its always nice to see people always use something from everyday life into something useful. It brightens up the innovations in peoples homes.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...