Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How to Cut a Pineapple for Maximum Usability


Over the summer I went to visit my mom's church for a night of cooking / food prep tips from a professional caterer.  One of the things she talked about was cutting a pineapple so you are able to use the maximum amount of the fruit.  I thought it was a great idea and as a bonus it looks really cool.

Of course I had the idea to do a tutorial after I had already started.  So pardon my hands in the photos while I "reconstruct" the pineapple for the sake of the tutorial.  :)

Start with a ripe pineapple (not when they're green in the store, wait until they're a bit yellow).

Cat on a Limb-6449.jpg


Cut off the top. (I heard you can plant this,it will root and grow a new pineapple! [I love Pinterest])

Cat on a Limb-6450.jpg


Slice off the majority of the skin, but leave the little prickly dents.

Cat on a Limb-6451.jpg


Start slicing next to one of the dents, angling the knife underneath, and continue in a cork-screw fashion.

Cat on a Limb-6452.jpg


Slice on the other side of the dents, angling in towards the first cut, and remove the excess.

Cat on a Limb-6456.jpg


Continue until you have done this to the whole pineapple.

Cat on a Limb-6461.jpg


I just can't get over how awesome that looks!

At this point I cut the pineapple in vertical quarters and cut out the tough center.

Cat on a Limb-6463.jpg


I cut the quarters into spears and we ate it as is. You can cut it into smaller pieces for fresh eating, fruit salad, pizza, etc. Or make yourself a piña colada with fresh pineapple. Mmmm.

Cat on a Limb-6469.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be linking up to these fabulous link parties:

 Monday -  Craft o Maniac Monday -- Craftastic Monday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party  --  Tuesday -  Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Upcycled Awesome -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Tuesday Talent Show --  Wednesday -  Seven Thrity Three -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Create and Share -- Whatever Goes Wednesday --  Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- Thursday -  Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- House of Hepworths -- Friday -  Remodelaholic Friday -- Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Show and Share Day -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- Pity Party -- Design Dazzle --  Saturday - Saturday Spotlight --  Sunday -  The DIY Showoff Project  Parade --  Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

10 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! That's how my mom has always done it. Those spears are fantastic grilled, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool- I've never seen a pineapple cut like that before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! My husband always cuts the pineapple. Now I will try! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I have a pineapple waiting to be cut right now - can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy. My mouth is watering.
    Please come to my parties:
    www.garlicmom.blogspot.com
    www.storieswithzach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I just cut a pineapple the other day and I am so happy to see how it really should be done! Over from craft envy! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cut up a pineapple the other day...wish I'd seen this then! I'm pinning this so I can try it the for the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pineapple! That's a really good way to get those dents out, but not waste pineapple. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Shiloh
    everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so clever! I even have some pineapple in the fridge waiting to be cut up, I think I'll try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found this on Pinterest. I lived in Vietnam for a year and this is how the street vendors would cut it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...