Monday, August 27, 2012

Recovering a Lampshade

Continuing on the same theme as my last post (lamps for my living room), I had two brass lamps I painted a pale blue color.  I had found a lampshade at a thrift store for one of them, but was trying to find a shade to fit the second.  On a trip to Lowe's one day I walked by this:

Cat on a Limb-8268.jpg

For a second I hesitated and thought, "Is that a mistake?" Then I realized it might have something to do with the fabric starting to fall off (which I didn't care about because I was going to replace the fabric anyway). Luckily it was the right shape for my lamp (some other shades I had seen were too short and looked odd with my tall, skinny lamp) and was definitely within my budget!

Cat on a Limb-8270.jpg

I brought it home and pulled off the outer fabric completely. The inner fabric was fine and I decided to leave it that way. When I got the outer fabric off the frame I laid it on top of the new fabric I was going to use and cut out two of the same shape (leaving some extra around the edges for seam allowance and for attaching to the frame).

Cat on a Limb-8272.jpg

After cutting out the two pieces I sewed them together, slipped it onto the lampshade frame and folded up the raw edges along the bottom and top openings, securing with hot glue.

Cat on a Limb-8274.jpg

After gluing I trimmed the excess and glued a strip of bias tape around the inside to cover the raw edge, folding over the end to make a nice, clean finish.

Cat on a Limb-8276.jpg

Cat on a Limb-8278.jpg

Thus completed my second living room lamp!

Cat on a Limb-8828

----------------------------------------------
I'll be linking up to these fabulous link parties:

 Monday -  Craft o Maniac Monday -- Craftastic Monday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Make it Great Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party  --  Tuesday -  Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Upcycled Awesome -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Tuesday Talent Show --  Wednesday -  Seven Thrity Three -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Create and Share -- Whatever Goes Wednesday --  Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- Thursday -  Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- House of Hepworths -- Friday -  Remodelaholic Friday -- Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Show and Share Day -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- Pity Party -- Design Dazzle --  Saturday - Saturday Spotlight --  Sunday -  The DIY Showoff Project  Parade --  Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...