Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fashion Week Highlights - Spring 2013

In the fashion world seasons are a little backwards, or rather, forwards. In the spring designers showcase their lines for that year's fall collections, and in the fall they show their lines for the coming year's spring collections. Although the Spring 2013 Fashion Week happened several months ago, I thought I would hold off commentary until now (the time of year when I start dreaming of warmer weather).

I love how much of the content of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week is posted online after the event. I thoroughly enjoy looking through each collection, or watching highlights from the runway shows. They are not shown completely, but it's a great way to get a feel for each designer.

I admit, I'm fairly picky when it comes to clothing, and I definitely know what I like or don't like, so there are usually only a few looks that stand out to me. Here are some that caught my eye for spring --

These first two images are from Anna Sui.  The first one I love because it reminds me of a vintage sheet.  I have a couple of vintage sheets I'm planning on using to make dresses or skirts at some point.  


The second look I really like for a few reasons.  The pop of orange is great.  My wardrobe is lacking in yellow and orange because those colors don't look very good against my skin.  However, using a print with yellow or orange in it is a great way to incorporate the colors without them being too overpowering or right against the skin.  I love the mix of prints at the hemline, minus the lace leggings.  In general I am not a fan of leggings.


I am totally intrigued by this next dress, by Carmen Marc Valvo.  It's an interesting take on a ruffled, tiered dress, except the tiers are folded flat and are irregular in length.  I think I may use this in some form in the future.


Next up, more orange, this time from Carolina Herrera.  I love the color, although it may be a bit too much for me.  This is probably made from some sort of silk organza, although I could also see it in a sheer cotton gauze.  I love the movement in it.


Here are a couple of solid black numbers from Ralph Lauren.  The first one is a little difficult to see, but it's basically a little black dress with great lines.  It's a faux wrap and while I'm not crazy about the fringe, I love the angles and shirring on the side.


For the second dress I love the structured black lace on the bodice and the flowing, delicate skirt. 


I don't actually know the name of the designer of this next dress.  It was part of the show of students of the Art Institute of NY.  I like the structure and angle of the waistband/belt and the easy flowing-ness of the dress. 


These next two are from Fotini.  I appreciated them for their simplicity.  I love the delicate lace and skinny belt on the first dress.


The second dress is another one that reminds me of a vintage sheet (and I mean it in the best way possible!).


I think I'm a little obsessed with obi belts, because I just can't seem to get enough!  Here's one from Supima (in orange!). 


And finally, I'm going to gush a little bit about a new designer I discovered.  She's been around for a few years now, but this is the first runway show of hers that I've watched.  I love the timeless style of her clothing, and the fact that she uses models that vary widely in age (from teens to 80+ years).  I enjoyed watching an interview with her where she stated that she's disappointed in her generation for their emphasis on disposability, and that clothing should be made to last.  Those are a couple of the things I've been trying to focus on myself.  She also emphasizes gratitude and knowing that she is not doing this by herself.  That's awesome!  Such a relief from the diva attitude that can so easily happen in the fashion industry.  Also, I found a full-length video of her runway show, so if you have 17 minutes to spare, click here to watch it.  Otherwise, see a few of my favorites from her show...




Thank you for joining me for this glimpse at New York Fashion Week Spring 2013!  Now it's just a few more weeks until Fall... in the beginning of February. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...