Thursday, January 17, 2013

Necklace Alteration -- Two from One

Has anyone else discovered the Styled by Tori Spelling line of jewelry?  I really like a lot of the designs, but I've found that using the system as-is makes necklaces that end up being an awkward length, or I would like it to be just a little bit different.  Whenever something like that happens I usually just end up doing what it takes to make it the way I want it.

Take this necklace, for instance.

Cat on a Limb-0658.jpg

I loved the open metal flowers, but personally, I felt like the Y style didn't quite work here. So I decided to take off the dangling part in the middle and make two different necklaces.

I attached the middle portion of the original necklace to a long-ish chain using jump rings and made a closure and extension (like in this post).

Cat on a Limb-0659.jpg

Draped Chain Necklace 9 - Cat on a Limb

I created it in such a way that the flowers would hang to one side of the necklace instead of in the center.

While wearing it I noticed the flowers would twist and turn a lot, so I added another jump ring between the flowers, which helped it stay flat.

Cat on a Limb-0663.jpg

Cat on a Limb-0664.jpg

Cat on a Limb-0665.jpg

For the second necklace I attached a pre-made "necklace top" from the Styled collection, which I shortened to make the center of the necklace lay just below my collar bone.

Cat on a Limb-0662.jpg

Using jewelry wire cutters I clipped the extra loop off of the center flower.

Cat on a Limb-0661.jpg

As you can see it left a couple of barbs sticking out. I used a small rotary tool (kind of like a Dremel, but way cheapy, although it still did the job) and ground them down until it was smooth.

Cat on a Limb-0666.jpg

Cat on a Limb-0667.jpg

Cat on a Limb-0668.jpg

Which gave me my second necklace.

Cat on a Limb-0669.jpg

Two for the price of one... gotta love that! Has anyone else had projects where you were able to get two from one?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be linking up to these fabulous link parties:

Monday -  Craft o Maniac Monday -- Craftastic Monday --nbsp; Tuesday -  Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Tuesday Talent Show --  Wednesday -  Sugar and Dots -- Your Whims Wednesday -- Create and Share -- Whatever Goes Wednesday --  Linkin’ with Lil’ Luna -- Thursday -  Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Transformation Thursday -- Thrilling Thursday -- Make It Wear It -- The 36th Avenue Party Time -- Friday -  Flaunt it Friday -- Frugal Friday -- Weekend Wander -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Catch as Catch Can -- Friday Flair -- Feature Yourself Friday -- Simply Link {Party} -- Pity Party -- Frugalicious Friday --  Saturday - Strut Your Stuff --  Lovely Crafty Weekend --  Sweet Saturday -- Sunday -  The DIY Showoff Project  Parade --  Sunday Showcase Party -- Creative Bloggers Party -- I Heart Naptime -- Think Pink Sundays

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I do like your versions better than the Y shape. I've heard that Tori has a jewelry line but haven't seen it in person. Looks like she has cute pieces to choose from!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, thank you for taking the time to visit my little corner of the world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...